Friday, August 3, 2018

3 Months Post Expander and Oral Surgery Update

It's been 3 months and 2 days since the expander has been out. What joy it has been to have that thing gone!! I can actually eat normally again! I got engaged about a week and a half after the expander was removed. I've been in wedding planning mode all summer. When I went back to the ortho in June, I asked point blank when the oral surgery would be happening because now I'm on a time schedule to get the braces off in time before my wedding. My wedding is scheduled for September 2019 and I am SO SO excited about it. And to have perfect teeth by then would be an absolute dream come true! She had told me at the time that when I go back in July, if everything looked good, then she would send me for my referral to the periodontist to have the impacted canines exposed to start the process of pulling them into place.


July came. I had to go in for an emergency ortho visit at the beginning of the month because those pesky rubber bands I have to wear have been applying too much pressure on the band that goes around my crown, and the band had come loose. So they had to re-cement it in place and told me not to use that hook anymore to hold the rubber band.


On July 24th, I went in for my regularly scheduled visit. She said everything looked great and gave me my referral! She said to call them and let them know when I'm having the surgery so I can come back in a week post-surgery to have her start the process. She had to re-cement the crown band again due to having an issue replacing my bottom wire.


Oral surgery update - the oral surgery is officially scheduled. Y'all, I have been dreading this part for an entire year. But, I think I'll be so glad once it's over with. The oral surgery is currently scheduled for August 16th at 8am. Here's what I understand. It will take about an hour and a half. They will cut the gum on both sides where my canines are supposed to be. Lift up the gum tissue to expose the tooth (they are both literally right there under the gum, according to the x-rays). Attach a bracket with a little chain to each canine. And then add a stitch or two to stitch the gum back in place on both sides. Then it takes about a week to heal before the ortho can get to work on it. When I go in for my next ortho appointment, they will start applying pressure to the chain connected to the two canines. It's a slow process and they should slowly start coming down and into their proper space over time as pressure is applied. I don't think that part is going to hurt, but we'll see.


I am very nervous/anxious about the oral surgery procedure. I know it's pretty common as the canines are the most commonly impacted teeth, but still, I don't like people messing around in my mouth. Getting two crowns put in was bad enough (before the braces). I hate having cavities filled and all that. So the sooner it is over with and I can just relax, the better.


The road to a beautiful smile is halfway there!!! One year from now, hopefully my braces will be completely GONE! So cheers to that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment