Thursday, June 29, 2017

2nd Visit - Prepare for Expander

June 13, 2017

This visit was somewhat unpleasant. In order to have a palatal expander, it must be custom made for me to fit my mouth. To do that, they make a mold of the roof of your mouth. The first thing they did was removed the spacers and tried on a couple of metal bands on my upper teeth. When they found ones that were the right size and fit properly, they were ready to make the mold. They put this stuff in a tray that looked like pink pudding, told me to lean forward and bite down. That was awful. I had to sit like that for about a minute while the stuff hardened and breathe out my nose. I was thankful that they used a topical numbing stuff for the roof of my mouth so I would not throw up or gag. I suggest asking for topical numbing if you are prone to gag. A minute doesn't sound like a long time, but it's an eternity when you are sitting there with a foreign object in your mouth.

When it was finally over, they removed the hardened mold and the metal bands, gave me a toothbrush, and allowed me to brush my teeth. (There were little broken particles of the hardened mold substance in my mouth so I was spitting pretty bad.) The put new spacers back in to hold the positions of the molars and sent me on my way. My mouth was tender and sore from the metal bands on my teeth. It made eating a little difficult for about 3-4 days.

The next appointment is in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment