Thursday, June 29, 2017

Initial Ortho Visit

May 30, 2017


I was actually thinking I was going to have everything put on that day as far as the braces went. I was wrong. The initial visit consisted of the following:

1. X-rays
2. Photos of my mouth, face, and smiling
3. Payment (I paid the total cost up front using Care Credit which gave me 0% interest for 24 months)
4. Paperwork signing and information
5. Spacers

I was informed that I would require a palatal expander with a tongue guard in order to correct my crossbite. A palatal expander is typically used to stretch the upper jaw/palate in order to make more room for your teeth. The purpose of the tongue guard was to prevent my tongue from hitting my front teeth. The photos below show what it looks like and the second photo is what the tongue guard looks like. The ortho will give you a special key that you put it in the center hole to turn the expander. The ortho will tell you how many times you have to turn it. When you turn the key, the expander will stretch outwards, stretching your palate wider.













In order to prepare for that appointment, I was given 2 spacers on each side on the top. The spacers would create enough space between upper teeth to put the metal bands on that would connect to the palate expander. It was slightly uncomfortable when they put the spacers on but not too bad. It was tender to chew for a few days after that but that was it. I've heard horror stories of people who said that the spacers were the worst part of the whole process. For me personally, I would have to disagree. That I think was the easiest part and least amount of pain for me. I would take spacers again easily over the palate expander.

My next appointment for the next phase of the process is two weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment